Today was one of the days in the week where I receive help in the form of a home carer. Magic Maggie is what I call her. Having the extra help has been a game changer for my family. My hubby gets some time out (today he walked the dogs), house work gets kept on top of and we usually attempt some form of cooking or baking.
Today I had 2 ideas in mind but because of time we decided on the quickest. Lentil soup with Lemon. Comforting with a refreshing edge! That is how I imagined it.
I had tried a basic recipe a month or so ago, one I had found somewhere, but I personally thought it was awful. And knew I could make it more to mine and my families taste.
So today that experiment took place. I have dedicated a notebook to the trial and error process.
There was no error and this soup is yummy. Magic Maggie chopped up the veg.
If you are like me and struggle with chopping then use a food processor. It is all going to be blended in the end.
Prep time 5 mins
Cooking time 35 to 40mins
- 2 stalks of celery
- 5 small – medium caorrots, ( or 3 large)
- 1 leek
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 vegetable stock cubes ( I used oxo)
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 1 lemon Zest and juice
- Pinch of oregano
- Water (enough to completely cover the ingredients by about an inch)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- * note if you tolerate fats you could saute the veggies first before adding liquid. I do not tolerate fats so can’t do this in my soup making any more.
- Place all the prepared ingredients in a soup pot or large pan.
- Bring to the boil
- Turn down to a simmer
- Place the lid on the pan
- simmer for 30 minutes or until veg is tender.
- Allow to cool slightly before blending.
I have found allowing this to cool /rest let’s the lemon flavour develop.
I added a little lemon zest to the top to serve.
I really enjoyed this soup it was exactly what I imagined.
It is easily frozen for a night when you cant be bothered cooking.
Happy soup making everyone.