I hate food waste and I hate packaging. So recently to reduce packaging I ordered a fruit box and a vegetable box from a local green grocers. I was so impressed I will definitely be a regular customer.
The most perishable items were blanched and frozen for later use. With being ill it is not possible to cook regularly so blanching and freezing means I don’t need to worry about waste. Along with batch cooking it is an essential step of eating healthy with chronic illness.
We had many fruit salads with the fruit box. My boys were delighted about this and I was happy knowing something decent was in their tummy. Anyone with teens knows the struggle.
Anyway, back to the main reason for this blog!
I had a few peppers, tomatoes, a courgette and butternut squash in need of being used up. It was my home carer day. So she put her chopping skills to good use and we prepped a roasted veg lasagne. She also prepared the above fruit salad.
Prep time 10 – 15minutes
Cook time 85 minutes.
Serves 6 – 8
- 1 butternut squash cubed
- 2 red pepper chopped chunky
- 1 yellow pepper chopped chunky
- 1 courgette chopped in disks
- 2 red onions chopped
- 5 tomatoes cut into 8ths
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tbsp miso paste (optional)
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- spray oil
- Salt and pepper as desired
- Vegetable broth as required * see note in method
WHITE SAUCE INGREDIENTS.
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/4 cup raw cashew nuts
- 1 cup plant milk
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp arrow root powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- *note* if you have half a red pepper add this also (I didn’t have any left. Sauce works with out it but the pepper will make it even nicer!
- Pre heat oven to 180 c (I used fan assisted you may need to use a higher temperature if not fan assisted)
- Put the prepared butternut squash, red onion and courgette in a large roasting tin, spray with oil
- Roast for 10 mins while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Add all the other vegetables, herbs, miso, tin tomatoes and stir well. Roast for 45 minutes
- Add all white sauce ingredients to a high powered blender and whiz until smooth.
- Prepare lasagne sheets as per packet instructions.
- Layer up the roasted veg and lasagne sheets*note if you prefer a wetter mixture add some vegetable stock to the roasted veg and mix to reach your preferred consistency then layer *
- Top with the white sauce
- Turn oven down to 150 c and bake for 40 mins until the top is golden
- Serve and enjoy
I am the only plant based eater in our family so after my dinner I had 5 very good sized lasagne portions for the freezer!
A great and tasty way to use up the veg!